Justin Bieber Joins Fans Under The Mistletoe For 'MTV First'

Boyz II Men's Nathan Morris and 'Mistletoe' director Roman White also join Beliebers for our video-premiere live stream.
By Jocelyn Vena, with reporting by James Montgomery


Justin Bieber with MTV News' James Montgomery
Photo: MTV News

On Tuesday night (October 18), Justin Bieber kicked off the Christmas season two months early when he sat down with MTV News during "MTV First: Justin Bieber" to talk about his new holiday-themed album, Under the Mistletoe, and premiere his video for the album's first single, "Mistletoe."

The Roman White-directed video features Bieber and his leading lady, Ali Williams, getting romantic in Franklin, Tennessee, where the video was shot last month. "It was different because, like, it's a Christmas video, so you gotta get your Christmas spirit on," he said of having to pretend it was the holiday season months before the jingle bells actually start ringing. "We had Santa there. He was kind of interesting, because he had this finger that would light up, but I never knew that, so he would come up to me randomly and point at me and his finger lit up, and it was really strange. I was like, 'Santa doesn't do that, my friend.' "

So has Bieber ever kissed anyone under the mistletoe, like he does in the romantic video? "No," he revealed. "Except in the 'Mistletoe' video. Maybe I'll be able to someday."

During the show, White spoke to MTV News via Skype and recalled being on set with Bieber, whom he also worked with on the 2009 video for "One Less Lonely Girl." White explained that the video was influenced by John Hughes '80s flicks like "Pretty in Pink" and "Sixteen Candles." "It was great," White gushed. "He's a lot of fun. It's the second time I've worked with him, so we already kind of knew each other a little bit.

"He was a little older, a little taller and his hair was a little shorter," he laughed. "He's a lot of fun, and he taught me some dance moves. We had a blast. What can I say? I learned how to Dougie from one of the Dougie originators."

Considering the video was shot in September, White made sure the set was very Christmas-like. "I love Christmas. ... We had all these huge snow machines. We had Santa Claus there. All this snow everywhere. It was really crazy," he explained. "It felt like Christmas."

The general consensus of fans in the studio was that Bieber definitely created a Christmas classic with the island-tinged tune. "Well, I'm jealous," Kelsie said of Bieber's kiss in the video, adding that she was floored by Bieber's growth as an artist. "It was so great. It's so great to see how much personality he puts into it and compare him to how it is now [from where he was], it's amazing. It's inspiring."

Under the Mistletoe features duets with a variety of stars, like Mariah Carey, Usher, Busta Rhymes, the Band Perry and Boyz II Men, who appear on the song "Fa La La." "We take that very, very highly," Boyz II Men's Nathan Morris told us during "MTV First." "I think he's a great artist overall. The kid can sing. [Our song has] got a nice little grove to it. The track is actually pretty nice. It doesn't sound like a hokey Christmas song."

The album hits stores November 1, and Bieber was inspired by a certain food rather than a certain mood when it came to writing tracks for it. "It's different, because you've gotta think Christmastime. You've gotta think, 'What's at Christmas? Mistletoe, reindeer, Santa, all these things.' And especially when it's not Christmastime, it's hard to really get your mind around it," he said. "But once you get into it, like, I was really thinking it was Christmastime when I was writing this album. ... We had Christmas cookies [in the studio]."

Want to know what else Bieber and company, including Boyz II Men's Nathan Morris and director Roman White, had to say about all things Mistletoe? Stay with MTV News as we roll out more news and fun tidbits from our interview with Bieber.

Related Videos Related Artists

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1672764/justin-bieber-mistletoe-video-mtv-first-interview.jhtml

Jennifer Gareis Jennifer Garner Jennifer Gimenez Jennifer Love Hewitt

'The Three Musketeers': The Reviews Are In!

Critics praise the lavish costumes and photography, but say some performances would get 'drummed out of a school play.'
By Kara Warner


Luke Evans, Ray Stevenson and Matthew Macfadyen in "The Three Musketeers"
Photo: 20th Century Fox

Back in September, when MTV News caught up with "The Three Musketeers" director Paul W.S. Anderson, he promised audiences a swashbuckling good time when his latest movie hits theaters. Now that its release date is finally here, fans can judge it for themselves.

Based on the beloved and familiar tale of adventure, intrigue and that famous "All for one, and one for all" motto, the film features an ensemble cast: Logan Lerman, Christoph Waltz, Milla Jovovich, Orlando Bloom, Ray Stevenson, Matthew Macfadyen, Luke Evans, Juno Temple, James Corden and Mads Mikkelsen.

Critics seem to enjoy the film's just-for-fun factor and hi-tech visuals — especially the ornate costumes. Speaking to the performances and continuity, however, it seems the critical collective found some aspects lacking in those departments.

Without further ado, let's unsheathe our swords and swashbuckle our way through "The Three Musketeers" reviews:

The Remake vs. the Dumas Original "It is absolutely, intensely and resolutely daft. For some reason, Anderson and his scripters Alex Litvak and Andrew Davies decided that the one thing the novels were missing was huge f---ing airships. With machine guns. And flame-throwers. Also, it's not enough that Athos (Macfadyen, moody), Aramis (Evans, cool) and Porthos (Stevenson, big) be Musketeers. They must also be an 18th-century blend of Ethan Hunt, James Bond and Batman who have to tackle OTT, Indiana Jones-style deathtraps. Meanwhile, why go to Dumas for your zings, when you can just plunder other movies? One entire exchange is lifted from 'A Fistful of Dollars,' and 'Princess Bride' scribe William Goldman might want to be checking his pockets. Elsewhere, Lerman's D'Artagnan is a smug, charmless little creep, James Corden's Planchet squeezes out 'comic relief' like he's constipated." — Dan Jolin, Empire

The Performances "Previously reliable actors such as Christoph Waltz (as the scheming Cardinal Richelieu), Matthew MacFadyen (as the disillusioned musketeer Athos) and Mads Mikkelsen (as the one-eyed Rochefort) seem content to take the money and look vaguely embarrassed. Some inferior thesps, such as Logan Lerman (a colorless, surfer-dude D'Artagnan), the director's wife Milla Jovovich (vapid when she should be mysterious) and Orlando Bloom (a useless drip as the dastardly Buckingham) give performances that would get them drummed out of a school play. Saving graces include the lavish costumes, widescreen photography and French architecture, even though the film was shot in Germany." — Chris Tookey, Daily Mail

The Visuals "For an action film, there's an awful lot of foppish discussion about clothes going on. But what glorious clothes they are. Pierre-Yves Gayraud's exquisitely detailed outfits steal scene after scene, in particular the women's gowns, all intricate silk brocades shot through with metallic threads and glinting like jewels. Glen MacPherson's digital lensing has been balanced in post in such a way to let the electric blues on the king's guards' uniforms pop just a bit more intensely, especially in the many bright, sunlit rooms (a mix of Bavarian locations and sets at Berlin's Studio Babelsberg) deployed for the palace scenes. The use of 3D rather limits the fluidity of the action sequences, which ought to be Anderson's strong suit, but it does nothing but favors for Paul Denham Austerberry's rococo production design." — Leslie Felperin, Variety

The Final Word, Pro-Con-Pro Style "Director Paul W.S. Anderson's film is far from perfect but there's plenty to enjoy in this occasionally bonkers remake. But it begins to buckle under the sheer number of characters. From Orlando Bloom's villainous Buckingham to Milla Jovoich's devious Milady to James Corden's comical Planchet there are about five too many and they've all got more lines than the heroes. The musketeers are reduced to supporting characters in their own movie. Clearly this is trying to grab a slice of the 'Pirates of the Caribbean' pie and, while not as polished as 'Stranger Tides,' this is more fun. The sequel-baiting end may be a bit optimistic though." — Alex Zane, the Sun

"What it lacks in abundance, alas, is élan, panache or joie de vivre. Instead, a series of over-cooked set pieces (an opening raid on a Venice vault, a dirigible face-off above Notre Dame) turn what might have been a zesty frolic into one huge, lumbering behemoth. Who cares if the Musketeers retrieve the diamond necklace on which the marriage and security of France's callow young king (Freddie Fox) depends? Not us, and not Anderson either, the 'Resident Evil' director seeming more concerned with giving wife Jovovich extra scenes and setting up a sequel few will hanker for. All for one maybe, but one for all? Not quite. Although starry, lavish and superficially spectacular, this version of the perennial old favourite isn't likely to endure." — Neil Smith, Total Film

"We know we shouldn't have, but we enjoyed this. For, amid the guilty pleasures of the ludicrous 'war machines' and Orlando Bloom's even more ludicrous hairdo (as spaniel/fox/Lesley Phillips-hybrid Buckingham) there are some guiltless ones in the traditionally choreographed fencing, including a superb climactic cathedral-roof duel between Lerman's D'Artagnan and Mads Mikkelsen's nefarious Rochefort. Also, l'il D aside, the Musketeers are well cast, and enjoy an easy chemistry — enough for us to actually not dread the likelihood of a sequel. Actually, sod it: we'd look forward to the sequel. Even if it means more airships." — Dan Jolin, Empire

Check out everything we've got on "The Three Musketeers."

For breaking news, celebrity columns, humor and more — updated around the clock — visit MTVMoviesBlog.com.

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1672932/the-three-musketeers-reviews.jhtml

Garcelle Beauvais Genelle Frenoy Georgianna Robertson Georgina Grenville

Britney Spears Is Still Under Her Father?s Conservatorship

Britney Spears‘ father Jamie has had conservatorship over his daughter and her business affairs since 2008 after she displayed erratic behavior and several very public meltdowns. Now, 3 years later, the pop princess is still under conservatorship and RadarOnline.com has … Continue reading

Source: http://www.imnotobsessed.com/2011/06/17/britney-spears-is-still-under-her-fathers-conservatorship/

Blu Cantrell Bonnie Jill Laflin Bridget Moynahan Britney Spears

Kanye West and Jay-Z Steal Syl Johnson?s Song

Syl Johnson, soul legend and blues icon, is suing Kanye West and Jay-Z for sampling his 1967 song “Different Strokes” on their album Watch the Throne without permission and failing to give Johnson proper credit. Rolling Stone reports that Johnson filed a lawsuit against the klepto rappers in Illinois federal court on Friday, stating that West [...]

Source: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/beatcrave/~3/yxPohs0B5qA/

Autumn Reeser Avril Lavigne Bali Rodriguez Bar Refaeli

'Paranormal Activity 3' Hits Theaters, Unveils New Clip

The third installment in the "Paranormal Activity" franchise creeps into theaters this weekend. To get you ready for supernatural chills, there's a sixth viral clip that's been released. "Catfish" directors Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman direct the film that finds a young Katie (from the first and second films), and her sister Kristi battling evil. [...]

Source: http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2011/10/21/paranormal-activity-3-hits-theaters-unveils-new-clip/

Carol Grow Carrie Underwood Cat Power Catherine Bell

Nicole Scherzinger & Lewis Hamilton Split After 4 Years?

Nicole Scherzinger & Lewis Hamilton Split After 4 Years?

Nicole Scherzinger and Lewis Hamilton have reportedly called it quits. The Formula 1 driver and the singer are rumored to have split due to hectic [...]

Nicole Scherzinger & Lewis Hamilton Split After 4 Years? Stupid Celebrities Gossip Stupid Celebrities Gossip News


Source: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/stupidcelebrities/~3/MWsPKq243u0/

Audrina Patridge Autumn Reeser Avril Lavigne Bali Rodriguez

Rihanna Reveals New "Rebelle" Fragrance... AND Sexy New Stage Outfits

It's been a week of revelations for Rihanna fans as the singer just unveiled a new fragrance...and some sexy new stage outfits for her LOUD tour. Get up to speed on Rihanna inside....

 

Following up her successul first fragrance Reb'l Fleur, Rihanna chose this week to debut her second scent called "Rebelle."

About the scent, she says,

"My new fragrance is about taking control but still being a lady. There's a feminine, romantic element to the fragrance -- but there's also a defiant quality in it.  I love its duality."

She recently wore a sample of the scent, which is due in stores Spring 2012, to a party and adds, "...all the fly girls wanted some."

 Also, Rihanna added a little more spice (if that's possible) to her "LOUD" tour by debuting a few new stages outfits for her concert in Paris last night.

Oh.

She still rocked a few of her previous looks but remixed them a bit.

You feelin' them?

 

Photos via Splash

Source: http://theybf.com/2011/10/21/rihanna-reveals-new-rebelle-fragrance-and-sexy-new-stage-outfits

Alice Dodd Alicia Keys Alicia Witt Amanda Bynes

Michael Jackson Overdose Re-Enacted In Court Video

Prosecution aimed to prove MJ's death could have been prevented if Dr. Conrad Murray had the proper equipment and staffing.
By Gil Kaufman


Steven Shafer
Photo: Pool/Getty Images

After five days of recess, the involuntary manslaughter trial of Michael Jackson doctor Conrad Murray resumed in a Los Angeles courtroom Wednesday (October 19) with the airing of a dramatic video showing an actor going into cardiac arrest and being revived following a propofol overdose.

The Witness
» Dr. Steven Shafer, anesthesiologist

Key Testimony
» After the trial was recessed for two days to allow Shafer to attend a conference -- which he did not make it to in light of his father's death -- the anesthesiologist, who emphasized the fact that his pro bono consultation on the case is motivated by his desire to restore faith in the public that propofol is not fatal when administered and monitored properly, completed his testimony from last week. Shafer, an expert on the surgical anesthetic propofol, narrated a video in which jurors watched an actor pretending to go into cardiac arrest while being administered propofol. The Los Angeles coroner's office determined that Jackson died of "acute propofol intoxication," which caused the singer to go into cardiac arrest.

» In the video, doctors and nurses successfully revive the patient using equipment and staffing that Murray did not have in Jackson's home. The dramatic re-enactment capped a case from the prosecution aimed at proving that Murray acted in a negligent, unprofessional manner in his treatment of Jackson.

» Murray lawyer Ed Chernoff argued vehemently against showing the video, calling it "a terrifying dramatization of a person experiencing cardiac arrest" that he said was intended to inflame the jurors' minds. Prosecutors countered that it was aimed at educating jurors about the safe way to administer propofol. A judge allowed the video but ordered Deputy District Attorney David Walgren to re-edit the video mid-morning to delete several scenes that he said were not relevant to the case.

» Over the course of the afternoon, the prosecution walked Shafer through his analysis of 17 major infractions -- what Shafer termed "egregious violations" -- in Murray's treatment of Jackson. Four of those violations were deemed "fundamentally unconscionable," such as Murray's failure to purchase and implement the proper medical monitoring devices and his failure to chart and document his treatment of Jackson, or keep any records. "It's a setup for disaster," Shafer said, adding that the violations were all contributing factors in Jackson's death.

Murray, who has pleaded not guilty to the felony charge of involuntary manslaughter, is facing four years in prison if convicted. But new sentencing laws in California meant to mandatorily reduce state prison overcrowding mean that, as a nonviolent offender with no prior record, he could be sentenced to county jail instead. If that is the case, his sentence could be reduced to two years and, because of overcrowding in the Los Angeles County jail, he may be allowed to serve the majority of his time under supervised house arrest.

Related Artists

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1672843/michael-jackson-conrad-murray-death-trial-steven-shafer.jhtml

Arielle Kebbel Ashanti Ashlee Simpson Ashley Greene